Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

TFLN Poem - Force, Fallout

Hey.

Here's this week's www.textsfromlastnight.com poem.




Mass.

Acceleration.

They couple.   The muscles contract.

Force yields.    

I cook in the resolute dark, Nana.

Can’t draw candy until it’s cool and still.
Every stir, every cricket in the mosaic of night,
(that shift and lens of cloud-sight where moon shines

On flakes of dead, whispery skin)


Shapes what I make.
No room for surprise.
You watched your telenovela,
You had your cinnamon tea,
You wrapped your brown, scuffed robe
Against your frame
And you went to bed.
Not to wake until 5 or so.
That’s what’s done.

I closed my eyes.  A moment.  Thought again of
Typing condolence letters in the Green Zone,
Boxes of ash, slightly warm,
Laden on my desk.
Working at night.  I was not prepared
By your footsteps
Or your shadowy hug.
And I’m sorry, Nana.  

It’s just a motion my body makes.
The chocolate seeks optimal care.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment